The Foundation students and teachers have hit the ground running and jumped straight into their learning after a well deserved two week break. We are excited to be in our last term and it is so nice to see so many smiling faces even after Geelong were bundled out in the Preliminary Finals over the break.
This week we have been immersing ourselves in procedural writing texts in our endeavour to eventually publish our very own procedural text. Using our upcoming Teddy Bear Breakfast this Friday the Foundation team are looking into all types of pancake recipes. Using this text genre is an effective way to communicate to others, how to do something.
In our first week back, the Foundation students were using their animal comprehension strategies as they were reading. Perhaps you heard you child talk about a ‘tryin lion’, ‘stretchy snake’, ‘chunky monkey’ or ‘flippy dolphin’? No we do not have new and dangerous school pets, these are different animal cards that teach the students about the different reading strategies they can use.
1. Chunky Monkey – break the word into smaller chunks
2. Stretchy Snake – identify the sounds in the words
3. Elephant Ears – listen to hear if it makes sense
4. Eagle Eye – Look at the words and the pictures carefully
5. Skippy Frog – skip a word you are unsure of and then come back to it
6. Flippy Dolphin – try using short and long vowel sounds to see which one sounds right
7. Lips the Fish – make the initial sound with your mouth
Skip counting has been the main focus this week. We have been skip counting by 2’s, 5’s & even 10’s. We have made some awesome skip counting ice-cream cones, matching pictures and have challenged ourselves by choosing a challenging number to skip count on from.
Keep up the hard work!