Hi and welcome to the 5/6 team blog for Week 6, Term 3!
Firstly, we would like to say a massive thanks to all of our wonderful Educational Support Staff! Penny, Jason, Tammy, Leanne, Kerry, Anna, Tracey, Mandy, Kellie, Amanda, Denise, Michelle, Millie, Chris, Brendan and Paul, you are all greatly appreciated by the teachers at C.S.P.S and we are so grateful for your continuous help. A special shout out to Tammy, Kerry and Tracey who go above and beyond with their attention to detail, the guidance and the care they show towards all of the 5/6 students.
19 days until camp, please make sure you have handed all notes in as we will be finalising bookings, tickets etc on Monday 22/08/16.
Measurement is on our minds! After looking at data from the 5/6 cohort we have identified an area for growth. This week we began studying measurement and this will continue for another 2 weeks. So far we have been focussing on the attributes of measurement (length, width, height etc) and how to identify them. We have also been focusing on perimeter and with the weather this week being beautiful and sunny we decided to take our classrooms outside. The students measured the perimeter of the features of our schoolyard, such as; the basketball court, gaga pit, 4 square courts, sand pits and so on.
Our Reader's Workshop sessions have been focusing on summarising what the students have read. In particular the students have been identifying the key points and words to then develop their summaries. All students have been working extremely hard to achieve their reading goals. Please make sure your child is reading every night and logging it in their diaries. If the students read 40 nights this term there will be a movie and fun session on the last day of term. We have a visual in the classroom where students are tallying how many nights they have read.
Our poetry unit was put on hold for 2 weeks as our heads were in the Olympic Games. We will return to our poetry unit at the start of next week. The writing focus has been to research and create an information report about a Summer Olympian of their choice. The students were given a rubric to follow and guide their investigation.
Pack your bags, we are leaving Rio!
We have completed our Inquiry topic on the Olympics and are returning to Immigration. The students will begin researching for their summative assessment task. Please have a look at the rubric and discuss with your child. Ask ‘What country are you immigrating from?’ and ‘What country are you immigrating to?’ Country is the key word! Some students are finding it difficult to identify the difference between a country and a continent, could you please follow this up with a discussion at home.
Summative Assessment Task
- Choose a country other than Australia that you will be immigrating from.
- Choose a country other than Australia that you will be immigrating to. E.g. Canada to China
- Research both countries and complete a Venn Diagram about similarities and differences or things that are the same e.g., traditions, food, national costume, music etc.
- Write a short story about your reasons for leaving, your hopes and your dreams from your perspective as an immigrant e.g. better life, better education, better job.
- Make or bring to school a small suitcase. This will be for you to put in the things that you think will be important for your new life e.g. passport (make one)
- Organise a traditional costume so you can dress in character for our expo (T.B.A) (this would be from the country you are migrating from)
Please hand in any camp notes ASAP and make sure you circle either 'Yes' or 'No' to dropping your child off at the train station.
Important dates to remember:
Tuesday 23rd August- Student Led Conferences. Please make sure you have booked a time.
Wednesday 7th September - Camp